Sunday, October 9, 2011

Poundcake and Strawberries

I woke up this morning to a hungry belly and amazing options for breakfast.  Last night I was madly searching for a favorite recipe and couldn't find it.  So I settled for a poundcake.  Settled is not the right word, I was on a rampage.  I knew I had seen the recipe, but I have no idea where I put it.  So I searched for another hour for something my husband would possibly eat.  I will eat anything with sugar in it,  I am easy to please in the dessert area.


I found this poundcake recipe in one of my many baking books.  Simple, buttery, and so good with berries and whipped cream.


I whipped up some heavy cream and added powdered sugar to taste.  If you know me, you know I have a ridiculous love affair with whipped cream.  No waffle, french toast, or strawberry is safe.  They will be smothered in whipped cream.


I'd say I settled for something amazing.  I no longer feel like I settled, but like I found a new favorite.  My husband even had some!  That is a serious compliment.  He pretty much only eats lemon bars from a box, brownies, and cookies from a log.  Expanding his desert flavor palette is my secret goal.  1 point for the baker!

Recipe:  Pound Cake
2 cups ap flour 
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
8 oz. unsalted butter at room temp.
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs at room temp.
1 tsp. vanilla

-Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Butter a 9 by 5 or 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.  Put the pan on top of 2 sheet pans to bake.  This will keep the bottom from getting too dark.
-whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together
-cream butter and sugar for 5 minutes until pale and fluffy with a paddle (in a stand mixer)
-scrape down and add eggs one at a time, scraping down between additions and mixing for 1 - 2 minutes after each egg (this creates volume and air in your poundcake)
-add the flour and be careful NOT to OVERMIX.  mix just until incorporated on low speed
-scrape into pan and smooth top
-bake 45 minutes, then check.  it needs between 70-90 minutes to bake, if it gets too dark, tent the top with foil.  check with a knife, when it comes out clean, it is done.



The book I got this recipe from is Baking { from my home to yours }, by Dorie Greenspan.  I also have her Paris Sweets book which is awesome.  If you are interested in free recipes and more information you should definitely check out her site, this link will take you to her recipes.  Not a baker?  Not to worry, she has recipes from starters and entrees to salads and side.  She even has a new app for ipod.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...